• Author

Marshal Sip
    Keymaster

Hello!

We’ve shot tons of 224 Valkyrie ammo between our testing and local competitions. With all this brass we decided it’s time to start reloading! I’ve had excellent accuracy with the three factory loads that I’ve shot; 90 SMK, 75 TMJ, and the 60 BT. The 90 and 60 are both very effective on varmints! I’ve never seen such explosive results on any of my builds yet!

I have a 1:7″ barrel as well as a 1:14″. After seeing how the 60 gr bullets delivered I am curious to see how some 40 grain Z Max bullets will work. Does anyone have any 224 Valkyrie load data?

Also, PM for the gory pictures of rock chuck devastation.

Thanks in advance!

daryl deuel
    Participant

I’ve been seriously considering a Valkyrie for one of my next buys. I’ve seen a few listed with 24″ barrels and 1:7 twist, would I get more efficiency out of a little longer barrel (26-28″), or is a 24″ the sweet spot? Is the 1:7 twist good for the heavier bullets? I’ll most likely only shoot it with heavier bullets.

Justin
    Participant

I am sure that you have seen by now that Sierra has posted a bunch of load data now.

Will be fun to try out reloads in my 1-6″ twist barrel with the 95gr SMK.

Cheers,

Justin

Marshal Sip
    Keymaster

Hey guys,

We are having mixed feedback concerning the 1:7″ twist being sufficient. At our altitude, 3,300′, and with the 90 gr SMK we can produce sub .4 MOA to 1K yards. Some folks are having a hard time printing 1.5″ at 100 with the same configuration. The tricky thing is that Federal prints that a 1:7″ is required right on their ammo box, yet Sierra says 1:6.5″ on the bullet data on their website! From the mixed reviews we will be recommending a 1:6.5″ or faster if the 90 or 95 gr SMK will be used. This is one of those oversights that you can only try and try again until something fails whether we can duplicate it or not.

We have found no negative side effects to shooting the really light bullets in the fast twists yet.

Justin
    Participant

Well, will soon find out what 95gr SMK work like at 909′ elevation using 1-6″ twist. Cheers

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Justin.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.