Replace Extractor on Thompson Center Barrel
To replace an extractor you must first locate the extractor roll pin. This pin is located just under the weld of the barrel to the lug and at approximately the half way point.
- Using a 3/32 punch, lightly begin taping that pin out using your hammer.
- The pin will have to be driven about 7/8 of the way out.
- Once you feel like you are close to completely driving that pin out, start checking to see if you can pull the extractor out.
- If you completely push the pin out, it is ok. Due to the size of the pin it can be tricky to restart the pin in the hole.
Once you can slide the extractor out be mindful of what cartridge your barrel is for. There are several cartridges will have a flat spring under them. Once the extractor is removed, the new extractor can be put in.
- If you extractor has a flat spring, there will have a small cut out on the bottom for a flat spring.
- The flat spring is placed with the bowed side down.
- Push the extractor all the way in to the lug. The roll pin can now be tapped back into the lug.
- If the roll pin was completely removed from the lug, you can use needle nose pliers or tweezers to hold the pin in position.
- Once the pin is flush with the lug, use your 3/32 punch to tap the roll pin so that it is just below the surface.
Attach your barrel to the frame.